Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman

Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
Entwurf für eine Kirche (1965)
not given
Vintage print
15x24 cm
© Photo & Courtesy: Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman, Innsbruck/Vienna; Estate Walter Pichler
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
Entwurf für eine Kirche (1965)
not given
Vintage print
17,5 x 28,5 cm
© Photo & Courtesy: Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman, Innsbruck/Vienna; Estate Walter Pichler
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
Entwurf für eine Kirche (1965)
not given
Vinatge print
15 x 24 cm
© Photo & Courtesy: Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman, Innsbruck/Vienna; Estate Walter Pichler
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
Kleine Figur
1960 (support 1974)
soldered iron wire, support in wood and lead, artist's base
150 x 150 x 50 cm
© Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman / Bernhard Sickert
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
Frau aus Metall
1990
wood, lead, tin, copper
175 x 180 x 40 cm
© Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman / Bernhard Sickert
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
untitled (kleine Figur, 1960)
not given
pencil and mixed media on paper, double-sided
27 x 21
© Photo & Courtesy: Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman, Innsbruck/Vienna; Estate Walter Pichler
Walter Pichler was born in Deutschnofen, South Tyrol, in 1936. He studied at the school of arts and crafts in Innsbruck and then the University of Applied Arts in Vienna until 1959. His first exhibition Architektur, together with Hans Hollein, at the Galerie nächst St. Stephan, in 1963, was one of the most influential Austrian contemporary art exhibitions of the post-war years. In 1967, MOMA New York presented the Visionary Architects Raimund Abraham, Hans Hollein, and Walter Pichler. In 1968, Arnold Bode invited him to the Documenta IV in Kassel. At the beginning of the seventies, Pichler acquired a little farmstead in St. Martin an der Raab in Southern Burgenland, which served him both as workshop and home, but also as an exhibition space for his sculptures. In 1972, he exhibited at Hamburger Kunsthalle, and with Projects paid another visit to MoMA New York in 1975. Under Commissioner Hans Hollein, Pichler also exhibited at the Venice Biennial in 1982. In 1984, Pichler was the first recipient of the Tyrolean State Prize for Art, which he immediately passed on to Max Peintner. In 1985, he was awarded the Grand Austrian State Prize for Visual Art. Walter Pichler died in Vienna on July 16, 2012. The Gallery Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman and Walter Pichler are connected by a long period of joint exhibition activity, which continues intensively even after his death. The artist’s works are represented in many international collections, including The Museum for Modern Art, New York, Centre Pompidou, Paris or the Museum moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig, Wien.
Founded in 1977 in Innsbruck, Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman has been working with important and internationally renowned contemporary artists from Austria, including Bruno Gironcoli, Hermann Nitsch, Walter Pichler, Arnulf Rainer and Franz West. In the 80s the gallery started working with a younger generation of painters – Siegfried Anzinger, Herbert Brandl, Erwin Bohatsch and Gunter Damisch – that were just leaving the academies, later known as “Neue Wilde”. Artist from different media and the neighbouring countries joined the gallery in the 90s and early 2000s: Éva Bodnár, Maria Brunner, Thomas Feuerstein, Michael Kienzer, Florin Kompatscher and Peter Sandbichler. The gallery profile is continuously complemented with significant international positions, always taken in a cultural context: John M Armleder, Günther Förg, Jürgen Klauke and Tal R; as well as our latest international collaborations: Mai-Thu Perret and Johannes Wohnseifer. The focus remains to work with artists long-term and to accompany them through their career. In 2011, the gallery opened a large-scale dependance in Vienna’s first district. While Elisabeth and Klaus Thoman have been operating as the gallerists for already 40 years, in 2020 a younger generation of directors joined their team, consisting of Maximilian Thoman and Eva Oberhofer. They are now taking care of the space in Vienna as well as continuously adding new positions to the gallery’s artist list, like Julia Haugeneder and Johannes Kofler. Furthermore a dialogue with emerging artists was founded with the projectspace tart.vienna, that regularly hosts exhibitions for external artists in the gallery’s Seitengalerie.
Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman
+4315120840
Maximilian Thoman
06643508847
Walter Pichler was born in Deutschnofen, South Tyrol, in 1936. He studied at the school of arts and crafts in Innsbruck and then the University of Applied Arts in Vienna until 1959. His first exhibition Architektur, together with Hans Hollein, at the Galerie nächst St. Stephan, in 1963, was one of the most influential Austrian contemporary art exhibitions of the post-war years. In 1967, MOMA New York presented the Visionary Architects Raimund Abraham, Hans Hollein, and Walter Pichler. In 1968, Arnold Bode invited him to the Documenta IV in Kassel. At the beginning of the seventies, Pichler acquired a little farmstead in St. Martin an der Raab in Southern Burgenland, which served him both as workshop and home, but also as an exhibition space for his sculptures. In 1972, he exhibited at Hamburger Kunsthalle, and with Projects paid another visit to MoMA New York in 1975. Under Commissioner Hans Hollein, Pichler also exhibited at the Venice Biennial in 1982. In 1984, Pichler was the first recipient of the Tyrolean State Prize for Art, which he immediately passed on to Max Peintner. In 1985, he was awarded the Grand Austrian State Prize for Visual Art. Walter Pichler died in Vienna on July 16, 2012. The Gallery Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman and Walter Pichler are connected by a long period of joint exhibition activity, which continues intensively even after his death. The artist’s works are represented in many international collections, including The Museum for Modern Art, New York, Centre Pompidou, Paris or the Museum moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig, Wien.
Founded in 1977 in Innsbruck, Galerie Elisabeth & Klaus Thoman has been working with important and internationally renowned contemporary artists from Austria, including Bruno Gironcoli, Hermann Nitsch, Walter Pichler, Arnulf Rainer and Franz West. In the 80s the gallery started working with a younger generation of painters – Siegfried Anzinger, Herbert Brandl, Erwin Bohatsch and Gunter Damisch – that were just leaving the academies, later known as “Neue Wilde”. Artist from different media and the neighbouring countries joined the gallery in the 90s and early 2000s: Éva Bodnár, Maria Brunner, Thomas Feuerstein, Michael Kienzer, Florin Kompatscher and Peter Sandbichler. The gallery profile is continuously complemented with significant international positions, always taken in a cultural context: John M Armleder, Günther Förg, Jürgen Klauke and Tal R; as well as our latest international collaborations: Mai-Thu Perret and Johannes Wohnseifer. The focus remains to work with artists long-term and to accompany them through their career. In 2011, the gallery opened a large-scale dependance in Vienna’s first district. While Elisabeth and Klaus Thoman have been operating as the gallerists for already 40 years, in 2020 a younger generation of directors joined their team, consisting of Maximilian Thoman and Eva Oberhofer. They are now taking care of the space in Vienna as well as continuously adding new positions to the gallery’s artist list, like Julia Haugeneder and Johannes Kofler. Furthermore a dialogue with emerging artists was founded with the projectspace tart.vienna, that regularly hosts exhibitions for external artists in the gallery’s Seitengalerie.
ABOUT Walter Pichler